Mr Michael Ledger
MBBS, FRACS (Ortho), FAOrthA
Specialist Shoulder and Knee Surgeon
|Mr Michael Ledger
Michael is an established Orthopaedic Surgeon in Perth with a specialist interest in the shoulder and knee - sports injuries, and joint replacement. With a background in competitive swimming and sport, Michael understands the relationships between form of movement, function, and performance. He works with a multi-displinary team of physiotherapists and rehabilitation specialists to achieve the best results for his patients.
Michael received his medical training at the University of Western Australia and went on to complete his training with the Australian Orthopaedic Association. He has worked with International and Australian experts and leaders in shoulder and knee surgery, with a focus on the latest arthroscopy and joint replacement techniques.
Michael has published numerous peer-reviewed research papers in both shoulder and knee surgery, and regularly attends national and international orthopaedic meetings.
He brings a warm and friendly approach to create a carefully considered and individualised management plan for each of his patients, always aiming for the best outcomes.
In his time away from work , Michael continues to swim and enjoy the great outdoors with his family.
- Mercy Hospital Mount Lawley
- St John of God Subiaco
- Hollywood Private Hospital
- Joondalup Health Campus
- Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Australian Medical Association
Peer Reviewed Publications
- 2010- Ledger M, et al. ‘Effects of Super Critical Fluid Sterilization on the Mechanical Properties and Histological Appearance of the Porcine Patellar Tendon’. Orthopaedic Research Society 2010 (accepted, in print).
- 2006 Oct- Shakespeare D, Ledger M, Kinzel V. ‘Flexion after total knee replacement. A comparison between the Medial Pivot knee and a posterior stabilised implant’. Knee. 2006 Oct;13(5):371-3.
- 2005 Jul-Aug- Ledger M, Leeks N, Ackland T, Wang W. ‘Short malunions of the clavicle: an anatomic and functional study’. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 2005 Jul-Aug;14(4):349-54.
- 2005 Aug- Kinzel V, Ledger M, Shakespeare D. Can the epicondylar axis be defined accurately in total knee arthroplasty? Knee. 2005 Aug;12(4):293-6.
- 2005 Dec- Shakespeare D, Ledger M, Kinzel V. ‘Accuracy of implantation of components in the Oxford knee using the minimally invasive approach’. Knee. 2005 Dec;12(6):405-9.
- 2005 Dec- Shakespeare D, Kinzel V, Ledger M. ‘Achieving ligament stability and correct rotational alignment of the femur in knee arthroplasty: a study using the Medial Pivot knee’. Knee. 2005 Dec;12(6):419-23.
- 2005 Jun- Shakespeare D, Ledger M, Kinzel V. ‘The influence of the tibial sagittal cut on component position in the Oxford knee’. Knee. 2005 Jun;12(3):169-76.
- 2005 Jan- Ledger M, Shakespeare D, Kinzel V. ‘Accuracy of patellar resection in total knee replacement. A study using the medial pivot knee’. Knee. 2005 Jan;12(1):13-9.
- M. Ledger, J. Goldberg, W. Harper, Y.Yu, M. Pelletier, W.R. Walsh. Improving the tendon bone interface using low intensity pulsed ultrasound in a sheep rotator cuff model. 2010 Shoulder and Elbow Society of Australia Biennial Meeting, Sydney Australia.
- M. Ledger, D. Dickison, J. Goldberg, W. Harper, N. Bertollo, W. R. Walsh. An electron microscope examination of arthroscopic shavers. 2010 Shoulder and Elbow Society of Australia Biennial Meeting, Sydney Australia.
- M. Ledger, D. Wood, B. Robertson, D. Fick. Patellofemoral Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation. 2006 Australian Orthopaedic Association (WA Branch) Annual Meeting.
- M. Ledger and C. Whitewood. The Accuracy of Digital Templating Software in Total Hip Replacement. 2005 Australian Orthopaedic Association (WA Branch) Annual Meeting.